Chat   Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Welcome
Welcome to beanoforum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Board index » Beano-specific subforums » Beano Monthlies

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Real Toxic Wannabe: No more Dennis, Gnasher, too many gifts
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:57 am 
Bash Street Kid

Have thanks: 10 time
Firstly, apologies for my recent inactivity - this could have been posted sooner but I've had a lot on my plate.

I've attached a screenshot of the email conversation.

Now, issue#121 of Epic Magazine contains no Dennis and Gnasher at all. Issue#119 only had two pages, #120 only had one page and the current issue, #121, hasn't got it in at all.

Now, I have been emailing Michelle who works for Epic quite a few times recently to express my opinions and views of Epic through long, opinionated feedback (If anyone wants a copy of these emails just ask and I'll be happy to provide them).

"I'm sorry you're unhappy Dennis and Gnasher isn't in Epic anymore but after reader research we've decided to no longer run it. It won't be returning to Epic but you can still read it every week in the amazing Beano. The annual has just come out* and we have a summer special as well."

*Okay, the annual hasn't come out. Unless you're referring to the classic book, Raiders of The Lost Archive, which I have.

The fact they have a summer special and annual is invalid. It's more money to spend and, surely, they have enough space in the 48 pages (47 if like me you don't count the front cover as a page) to include just two or three pages of Dennis and Gnasher? Even though I do see that as too short for a mega monthly magazine.

They removed the Dennis and Gnasher and hardly comic strips. I counted a total of three comic strips in #121. Ridiculous. They have 47 pages to use (counting the inside the comic and the back cover), but decide to fill the magazine with tons of Minecraft and football... not to mention outdated movies! Zootropolis? Didn't that come out in... March? 5 months ago. Surely a Dennis and Gnasher, or page of Beano mini strips could have squeezed there instead?

It makes me laugh how the strip got removed due to "reader research". The people that participated in the survey a few issues ago would rather have a copy of Toxic or Mega, than have a decent magazine? The sales figures that I recently saw do not suggest Epic is doing well either.

Okay, I'm going to leave one more rant before I publish this post:

Two issues ago, #119, the price dropped down from £3.99/£4.99 to £2.99. I asked Michelle in an email if this is a permanent change and was told yes. After just two issues (#119 to #120) at the current issue, #121, the price flies back up to £3.99! Yes, I know the price goes back down to £2.99 next issue, but permanent should mean permanent. How could they have prevented this? Just don't provide too many gifts. The water pistol was large so that's probably what caused it to go up, and to make matters worse, mine leaked after a few squirts of water. I didn't complain about that though, because I'd rather have a decent magazine to read than have 5 cheap gifts.

Next issue there's just one gift less than the current offer of 5 gifts, which proves one of the gifts (I assume the water pistol) nudged up the price.

In case anyone is wondering next issues gifts are:

-Another water pistol (hurrah!)

-A throwing disc (frisbee). Something decent but it looks cheap and has an emoji sticker on it for no reason whatsoever.

-Xtreme Popping Soda - A sweet that I don't really like the sound of (and have never heard of with the exception of seeing it in Epic) so it will have a free trip to my bin.

-Danger Mouse Activity Book also one of the gifts in The Beano on Wednesday 17th August 2016 - This has to be a better read than Epic so thumbs up! :P

Finally, I have 6 months of Epic coming to my door. I won £15 from two competitions and the subscription card was £20 so I got it for £5, which isn't bad. Let's hope I don't have several trips to the post office within this 6 months, like I did with the previous Megazine when I had a subscription with that.

Please do leave your replies here, and thank you for reading this post.

-beano150

Attachments:
NomoreDennis.JPG
NomoreDennis.JPG [ 72.62 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Real Toxic Wannabe: No more Dennis, Gnasher, too many gi
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:31 pm 
Prankster

Have thanks: 4 time
So Epic is now completely unaffiliated with The Beano? What a strange marketing move they have made. I'm surprised by that, because as we saw, The Beano's sales figures are on the up and sales are rising, whereas Epic's have flat-lined. Why would Epic want to distance itself from The Beano?

I wonder what "reader research" constituted? Was that a survey? Or focus grouping? I wonder how they came to the decision that readers of the magazine didn't like Dennis and Gnasher enough for it to be dropped completely as a strip in the magazine?

What does this also mean for the weekly Beano, which carries Dennis and Gnasher as it's cover strip? I wonder if Dennis' days are numbered in The Beano too? Presumably if Dennis is unpopular enough with Epic readers (many of whom were readers inherited from BeanoMAX and the Megazine, both Dennis-affiliated Beano tie-in magazines), he is also unpopular with Beano readers.

I think the effort to compete with Toxic will be in vain, and this could well lead to a drop in readers for Epic. Many of them may have only been reading for the comic strips, and as there are only three, they could well make the switch to Toxic, which has more comic content.

Effectively, this is yet another title change and strategy change for the magazine- the third one of recent times. Dropping Dennis and Gnasher from the title, and moving away from comic strips altogether in favour of in-house, commercially driven, trend-chasing drivel.

I would be interested to see the other emails you have had with the Epic team if you can please post these? Thanks.

As for those gifts, I don't really know why they bother. Do the readership really like them? I wonder what their "reader research" said about the gifts?

The Epic team say that "Dennis The Menace and Gnasher will not be returning". If their word this time is as good as it was when they were talking about price rises, we should see Dennis and Gnasher back in Epic in around... 2 issues! :D

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:56 am 
Menace

Have thanks: 14 time
Epic is as good as cancelled at this point. Two comic strips left, and one of them is a Dandy reprint. Remember how the Dandy suddenly had a bunch of reprint in its final months? The last few issues even reused annual covers and stock art!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:52 pm 
Bash Street Kid

Have thanks: 10 time
Digifiend wrote:
Epic is as good as cancelled at this point. Two comic strips left, and one of them is a Dandy reprint. Remember how the Dandy suddenly had a bunch of reprint in its final months? The last few issues even reused annual covers and stock art!

I can't stress this enough... something needs to be done to make Epic survive, or it's gonna be gone.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Beano-specific subforums » Beano Monthlies